Tuesday, April 28, 2009

conversations in the dark and wounds from the past

Something happened the other night in a conversation that happened. without question I will not reveal the nature but I recognized something we all do and that is what I will touch on.
Many times we identify a church by the people that go there. Good, BAD or otherwise. There are people we know that go to our church and know they have been for a long time. Their behavior is honestly a hugely horrible witness and in turn hurts themselves. MY thought at the time was don't judge a church like that...
Are we as Christians all perfect? NO! In fact we are in fact fallen and broken people who still do BAD things. The only thing that sets us apart ultimately from people who are not is The Cross and the resurrection. The Forgiveness of God is important. Does this justify anything anyone does? No. People who do bad things should be accountable for their behavior. Christians in their own communities should be more accountable to other believers.

Another thing I noticed as a whole out of that is that we let our experiences influence how we think. We could have one horrible experience and from then on we don't ever want to take a risk and do whatever we had the bad experience with.
For us it was Life Groups in general. For me it is saying my name at church or introducing myself. it becomes a point of anxiety for me.I hate that. At one point name tags at an event made me upset....
In another week I will be going to a life group meeting that I will be going to for the first time. This will be the true measure of how well this church is doing as well as taking care of folks. Yes, I know these folks were not involved in what happened with the lady who called/reported us falsely to dss BUT there should be something in place for accountability and safety.
This will also be the measure of whether or not Andrew will choose to get in a life group. Right now the answer is most definitely NO, although volunteering as a first touch (Usher) volunteer is an option he's looking at.
I will not push Andrew into anything because he is resistant. Just pray my experience is great and I'll re sell this idea later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments...I read every one. I cherish your thoughts and friendship.
But please remember to keep it nice. Thanks :)
Please consider not being anonymous in your comments.