Here is what we have had to deal with over the last three months.
On July 11th we had an amniocentesis to check on Daniel's lungs as he was still unborn. We were all concerned about whether Daniel was going to deal with the same lung issues that his brother had been born with. Since all our medical professionals only had theories as to why Jonathan's lungs were immature at term, this was really, really important to have this test done.
I had been going to the doctor twice a week since I was 34 weeks to make sure that Daniel was doing great and was happy.
The test involves sticking a super long needle into the uterus and taking some of the amniotic fluid. It was painful and our Doctor, the tech named Andrew, Andrew and myself prayed throughout this.
We were all not expecting what the results would be as I was 38 weeks and change. The test came back negative and immature. We had previously scheduled his delivery for 39 weeks and 1 day(July 14th), only it all depended on this result. We had to cancel it. We also had to try and get 10 more days to try this test again.
We had planned everything out, including having Andrew's mom watch Jonathan the day that we were having Daniel, and no we had no back up plan, because we were trying to have some faith. We were hoping that we would have a great result as well as our doctor who was right there with us.
10 days went by REALLY slow and each day felt really impossible.
We got to July 22nd and went for our second amniocentesis, went through that and waited all day for results. That was the longest day ever. Our doctors were coming up with a plan.
I was 40 weeks and 2 days and knowing that we couldn't stay pregnant forever was comforting but scary. The results were that his lungs were a little tiny bit better on one score(they tested for three things) the other two were nowhere near ready.
We were going to be spending some time in the same nicu that Jonathan spent 2 months in...The only thing was we would not know the extent of how long until he was born.
Trina had to go get special shots for the next two days and we had to scrounge up someone who could watch Jonathan and Andrew's mom was unavailable.
We had gone to a life group meeting twice... They asked us what we needed and that was it.
Although it was a far stretch or our trust to ask this bunch of people we hardly knew, we felt we had no other choice but to trust this group of strangers.
So we get a call the next day from a lady named Jill who was in the group.(this is important for later) She was volunteering
to watch him. We made a list of what he couldn't eat and shouldn't have been doing.
We had a person who was helping us the whole time...Her name is Julie Morris and she is a professional doula or Labor support person... She was a giant help to us. and in a big way helped us to stay pregnant and out of Labor and Delivery.
We got to the delivery date (July 25th) and went to have my c-section...I had a nervous stomach. We got to the hospital and you could cut the nervous anticipation with a knife...
I was super glad I had Julie as she was the one who talked Andrew into being in the delivery room with me.
She came to be a support and I so appreciate that she knew my fears and helped me to maintain our sense of this day is very special. we also had the opportunity to meet and talk to the NICU docs who would be taking care of Daniel.
I got prepped and took the "walk". It took a while to put the spinal/epidural in and get me prepped. When they were ready they brought in Andrew and the NICU team. Andrew was in scrubs instead of the Big Bird yellow gown we had endured our entire nicu stay with Jonathan. We lobbied for the scrubs, and got it. We didn't want to have that reminder at this moment in time.
He came and sat next to me and looked at me and touched my face. I was good and numb but still nautious but our doctors told me that it was because of my low blood pressure.
Suddenly I felt tugging and pulling. I knew this was it. He was coming out. They pulled him out and immediately the entire room filled with his screaming! He had a cord wrapped around his neck 3 times. That told us all why he was breech, he couldn't turn if he wanted to.
Andrew cut the cord while they were checking him out. He weighed in at 10 pounds and 7 oz.
His screams were the greatest sign that he was ok, and the best relief to me that I had suffered and sacrificed so that he could have a chance and it was successful. I was crying really hard on the table and everyone didn't know that these were HAPPY tears. They thought it was I'm in Pain tears. so they stopped and ask me.
I was sewn up and got the opportunity to see Daniel and touch him in the OR which was way different than when Jonathan was born. I didn't get to see or touch him until the next day.
I was taken to the recovery room and Andrew came in as well as Julie...
Daniel had been taken to the NICU for observation as he was grunting and breathing fast.
When I was in the recovery room having the shakes from being in shock and the spinal, a friend of ours came to say hello. Harold came and shared the afternoon with us...
After a while I was moved to a post partum room. I spent the next 4 days trying to rest and recover. I had issues with bleeding too much due to a blood thinner they had given me and some pain control issues no one believed me about.
Early the morning after my delivery, I was stood on my feet for the first time, was put in the shower and was given some solid food, I was wheeled over to the NICU to visit Daniel.
That was sad and weird at the same time as we were repeat customers and our family's picture was up on the wall across from the nurse's station. We were sad celebrities..
He was doing super terrific and there was talk about him graduating the next day. He came back to our room later the same day!
Jonathan was there when they brought Daniel into my room and got to meet him. It was one of the most precious things to see.
I spent day 2-3 trying to get my bleeding under control both from my incision and from my female parts, and to get the pain under control.
I went home on Day 4 and got the opportunity to take Daniel home with me. I was overwhelmed and grateful that a miracle happened that helped Daniel come out so healthy when he should've needed more intervention. There is no explanation that my doctors could come up with. so to us we had a miracle happen. :)
What would happen in the next 3 weeks would totally have us in a spin.
Trina
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comments...I read every one. I cherish your thoughts and friendship.
But please remember to keep it nice. Thanks :)
Please consider not being anonymous in your comments.