Wrtten 10/3...
This is Daniel. He just turned 5 two months ago. He is our middle child.
Being the middle child,He can create a ton of drama, but he can also cause others to join in the fun, even if he creates the opportunity.
He can also steal your heart, run away with it and totally spike it like a football.
Lately and for almost a year he's been struggling. Sometimes he'll totally emotionally shut down, crawl under a desk or just sit there, and lose his ability to reason. He'll just growl and scream and kick at everything and just generally refuse to comply with what's being asked of him.. By all accounts this has a totally random cause. He's done this both at home and school. It's now interfering with learning and just functioning.
He had several episodes of this at school, one of which I witnessed and was able to capture on my cell phone camera.
He also had two episodes on Sunday morning. One on the way to church, and one leaving. I had to drag him to the car. Although he's been potty trained for several months now, he's having so many accidents I was convinced that he needed to wear a diaper. He then went in he potty, which shows me this is a control issue. Every day he also walks up to Sarah and either hits or bits her with no provocation
Last Monday, by 745 am I had received two phone calls from the vice principal.
Needless to say I believe one of many things is happening. It's pretty obvious the staff at this school haven't put his IEP in place six weeks into the school year. I have meet with several of them several times, and each time they cannot recall a tiny portion of the bad things they've said. Daniel tells us daily that his teachers don't want him there. Whether or not there is any truth to this is yet to be seen as this is his perception. Since there is a lot of behind covering going on we'll probably never know the answer.
All we get is a bunch of meaningless talk. I make requests that according to the federal and state laws are perfectly legal and I get told everything else like this needs to be done at another time. To me this was a no. This also proves to me this school isn't doing a great job educating special kids because to them parents are merely a hindrance and not a valued member of the team.
We are at the point where we want to pull out our hair and bust out some special cuss words, but we won't.
I want to cry and go hide under a rock because honestly I think that no one wants to know what he's been going through. Only several of my friends have pleaded with me that we not walk through this alone, so that is why I wrote this.
I guess you can say there is a silver lining here. On Thursday we are going to go see the developmental pediatrician and it only took a month to get an appointment. By everyone's account this was a miracle. To us this just took way too long to get here.
God knows just how much I love this kid and how totally heart broken I am for him. God willing we get some kind of answer and if needed some medication, because he just deserves to be his happy little self who wants to please..
Being the middle child,He can create a ton of drama, but he can also cause others to join in the fun, even if he creates the opportunity.
He can also steal your heart, run away with it and totally spike it like a football.
Lately and for almost a year he's been struggling. Sometimes he'll totally emotionally shut down, crawl under a desk or just sit there, and lose his ability to reason. He'll just growl and scream and kick at everything and just generally refuse to comply with what's being asked of him.. By all accounts this has a totally random cause. He's done this both at home and school. It's now interfering with learning and just functioning.
He had several episodes of this at school, one of which I witnessed and was able to capture on my cell phone camera.
He also had two episodes on Sunday morning. One on the way to church, and one leaving. I had to drag him to the car. Although he's been potty trained for several months now, he's having so many accidents I was convinced that he needed to wear a diaper. He then went in he potty, which shows me this is a control issue. Every day he also walks up to Sarah and either hits or bits her with no provocation
Last Monday, by 745 am I had received two phone calls from the vice principal.
Needless to say I believe one of many things is happening. It's pretty obvious the staff at this school haven't put his IEP in place six weeks into the school year. I have meet with several of them several times, and each time they cannot recall a tiny portion of the bad things they've said. Daniel tells us daily that his teachers don't want him there. Whether or not there is any truth to this is yet to be seen as this is his perception. Since there is a lot of behind covering going on we'll probably never know the answer.
All we get is a bunch of meaningless talk. I make requests that according to the federal and state laws are perfectly legal and I get told everything else like this needs to be done at another time. To me this was a no. This also proves to me this school isn't doing a great job educating special kids because to them parents are merely a hindrance and not a valued member of the team.
We are at the point where we want to pull out our hair and bust out some special cuss words, but we won't.
I want to cry and go hide under a rock because honestly I think that no one wants to know what he's been going through. Only several of my friends have pleaded with me that we not walk through this alone, so that is why I wrote this.
I guess you can say there is a silver lining here. On Thursday we are going to go see the developmental pediatrician and it only took a month to get an appointment. By everyone's account this was a miracle. To us this just took way too long to get here.
God knows just how much I love this kid and how totally heart broken I am for him. God willing we get some kind of answer and if needed some medication, because he just deserves to be his happy little self who wants to please..
Please say some prayers, and be Blessed
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comments...I read every one. I cherish your thoughts and friendship.
But please remember to keep it nice. Thanks :)
Please consider not being anonymous in your comments.