Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Riverbanks Zoo & Edventure- Columbia SC

This weekend marked the ending of Pre-K for Jonathan. Since there was no graduation ceremony, we decided to use our various coupons we had gathered for Columbia, South Carolina to mark this milestone.  The next milestone for Jonathan will be the first day of Kindergarden, which will be in the Hurst EulessBedford School (HEB)district after we move next month to Euless, Texas.

Coupons/gift cards used on this Trip:
1 free nights stay at Embassy Suites-Graystone (purchased for a song at a March of Dimes Silent auction)
4 General admission passes to Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens (also purchased for a song at a silent auction)
1-$50 gift card to Di Prados-as a part of the zoo package that was at the silent auction.
4 passes to Edventure- This was a Groupon

Riverbanks Zoo and Garden-
This was and always has been a favorite destination of our family. I give it 2 thumbs up.
Everything was very accessible with our stroller. Even the Garden tram had a ramp.

 EdVenture- For ages 4 and up 2 thumbs up. For ages 3 and Under Two thumbs down.

Okay My kids ages: 5 years old, Nearly 3 years old and 5 months.
We had several problems with this place as soo as we walked in the place. This place was not stroller friendly, although there was an elevator.
Many of their doorways were either too narrow or cut in half by building columns. I couldn't get through some of the stuff and the other part I could I felt as though I was blocking the flow of traffic.
For a museum this is bad.
When we went to turn in our groupon that we had purchased, they tried to sell us passes to their butterfly exhibit... Only thing was they did not mention we could not take our stroller, and when confronted about it stated it was a USDA rule... However, they were the ones who sold us the ticket KNOWING we had a stroller.. (scratches head and shrugs). Not to worry though. Andrew took Jonathan although the ticket was originally purchased for me. We were able to see about half of their exhibits
The Three and under set- Big thumbs down. They had one single room in the place cordoned off that had foamy toys and like a play stove and a play ship.  They also had a soft area for babies that was out of line sight wise,obviously having both kids in both places wasn't going to do. We ditched the infant area quickly.
I will give them a positive for trying though. They stuck a family bathroom in there as well although it was really tight to get in because of another building column.  This whole place was poorly ventilated and when we were there it was HOT.
Since we have developmental and Language delays this place was a challenge although still enjoyable.
If I were to say anything to another parent with a child with any kind of disability about this place... Go when your your child reaches a developmental equivalent of 42 months.(that's nearly 4). I say this because this is where Jonathan is in some things and he's just starting to enjoy stuff like this.

Di Pratos- Lovely Brunch- Deli style. Order at the counter. Great food. Very reasonable.  Great selection for kids menu. Awesome quality for the price.
 It was this week end I discovered I really want to begin not writing about our  adventures, but also some of the destinations; because sometimes as a special needs parent I am experiencing places differently than other people. We all need to know. If we had known this before hand We would have either not have gone OR we would have taken the Under three kids, whom I call the "Littles" out to a park or gone on to the hotel.
 Sarah in the play area. she enjoyed this. although we do this at home.
That was pretty much our trip. Hope you enjoyed this.
Until next time.
Be Blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments...I read every one. I cherish your thoughts and friendship.
But please remember to keep it nice. Thanks :)
Please consider not being anonymous in your comments.