Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A very California Family wedding.Trip of a lifetime.

I'm sorry that it's taken me  a month since Jonathan and I went on a trip to California.
I hadn't been to California in so long to visit family that I cannot even guess the year we went.  I'm guessing 2004 (on the very outside it could have been 2003).
The last time we were in California a friend of ours named Alfonso was getting married.

After a while of constantly dealing with the ongoing drama with Daniel's school, and just life in general wit a new set of Autism spectrum disorder diagnoses for not only Daniel but Jonathan as well... Andrew made the executive decision to send both Jonathan and I out to visit our family. I needed a break.. There was a very special person in my life that was also getting married.
My niece, Riyen got married to an awesome guy named Garth. They had known each other for a long time...
That and she's almost 23.  Kinda doesn't feel that way.  It seems like yesterday that she cried at my wedding.  like. Ugly cry. but only because she was happy. (but as a disclaimer all the women in my family cry at everything). I cried at the last school assembly I went to with Jonathan.

Jonathan playing in the same backyard I practically grew up in. Couldn't get him inside even when it was freezing.





Jonathan seeing and experiencing the ocean for the first time.  And loving it.

Ended up soaked from head to toe but it was TOTALLY worth it.

My Good friend Darlene... whom I love very much.

 We spent the morning with Andrew's side of the family.  We took over a whole corner of a Diner in Watsonville. 
Pictured  from L to R (because I totally hate looking at people's photos not knowing who I'm looking at)
Me, Diana (Andrew's sister,Roslyn (Brother Walter's Significant other) Becky (Andrew's Mom) and Walter (Andrew's Brother)... Most of THESE pictures were taken by Jonathan.


Andrew's Dad named David (grandpa) and Diana.

Roslyn's daughter and our niece Brooke (Jonathan's Cousin)

Lee (our niece and Jonathan's cousin)


Diana... whom if you took a poll at my house they want her to visit way more. or we may have to go see her... hmmm

Jonathan looks good dressed up for the wedding.  Too bad it was slightly above freezing.  At least it wasn't raining.

 
There was a playground at the park Riyen got married at.  Christmas hill park is also home to the world famous Gilroy Garlic festival.

Bored because  Cousin Ruben made us leave at 1 pm and the wedding was at 3:30.  Cold because when we left Texas it was 70... and here we were freezing because it was 40.  Totally had forgotten about winter in California. like totally.

 Time for a beautiful wedding.
don't know anyone else here besides Emma (my niece and Jonathan's Cousin) in the yellowish gold dress and the Bride Riyen.  Love everyone's expressions.  Priceless.

You may kiss your wife Garth,

Cutting the cake but notice Jonathan is in the picture.  My sister and Riyen's Mom Eryn, That is an entire post I can't wait to share.  Friend Sally and my Aunt Diane is in this picture.

The day after the wedding we went to San Juan Bautista and walked around the Mission... Found out my aunt and uncle were married there.


Pretending to be a civil war re enactor... because they do that there some week ends.

My Aunt Diane who means the world to us and my Sister Eryn.  So glad I got to spend some quality time with you both.  Thank you for your love and warm hospitality. We stayed at my aunt's house.

At the airport in Oakland after driving for 2 hours from Hollister, California.

During this trip I really got a chance to reconnect with Jonathan.  He's a really great kid who sometimes tries too hard to please everyone.  He's sweet and he has a great sense of humor.  He is also a super Google Navigator.  Next time we go ANYWHERE I'm giving him the phone and say get us there.
He also sleeps sideways and loves playing in a backyard.

I totally needed this trip not only to go to this wedding, but for the break it forced me to take. 
Upon returning it took me about a week to fully realize that the filter that I had been viewing life with my kids was gone.  Suddenly I was viewing life wit Daniel and Jonathan and Sarah in all of it's glory.  The Good, the bad and the UGLY.  Still beautiful, just like anyone else we have bad days.  A LOT of them.
What normally happens after a bad day is we debrief and evaluate what happened and what could have possibly triggered the bad day. we also put the day away and never speak of it again.
 The day after we got back was terrible and ended up with a panicked phone cal from school, saying come.
I'm just thankful I was able to be granted the break and eventually my filter came back, but it was slightly different.

We are still working the Individual Education Plan through the IDEA 2004 Process with the school.  We are by no means ever going to be done.  Our ARD meetings take all day and there is no more room in that conference room.  We now have to trust an advocate and a lawyer to do our advocating for our kids and that is the absolute hardest thing ever for me to do. It hurts.
He has so far since the start of school been restrained (with documentation) 6 times.  He has been secluded  0 times and suspended 0 times.  This is a big change we are grateful for.
 But Love wins out.
Be Blessed and have a Happy New Year


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments...I read every one. I cherish your thoughts and friendship.
But please remember to keep it nice. Thanks :)
Please consider not being anonymous in your comments.