Friday, August 28, 2015

First Day of a new School year

Day 1: This is the beginning of another chapter. 

 Forget that. 

 I hope this is the beginning of a new book, because the last one was far too painful and ended in a way I hope to NEVER repeat.
Yesterday was the first day of school at a new school.  
This means there are new staff and new routines to learn.  Anything new can create chaos and anxiety for Daniel. 
Being at a new school also brings a sense of loss for both Daniel and Jonathan. Their friends aren't at their school with them any more. I pray they can find friends that they can play with and learn from. I just pray that Daniel gets the courage to go play with anyone.
The people that were most familiar with Daniel are gone and mostly for good reasons.  
All I can say right now is we hope they learned from Daniel how to treat students and we hope the laws regarding how adults treat children in schools change.

This is Jonathan's 4th school and Daniel's 3rd school and Daniel is in First grade in this district.  I wish This school district would not  move around their special education students so much.  The school district is causing some instability for the most vulnerable students... Let us put down some roots and bloom.

We are going to a school that is a wee bit closer to home but still a good distance away.


Here are our stats: 
Daniel started First grade... He has 2 teachers. Mrs. T. and Mrs. P.  He also has one speech therapist  who is also Mrs. P....We happen to have already known one of our teachers through church.
Honestly it felt awkward when I learned she was going to be his teacher. and then after talking to a mutual friend we all agreed that maybe this was God answering our prayers and that maybe she might be sensitive to know what his needs are and not hurt him.
He will split his time depending on  how he is doing behavior wise.

Sarah is still a year away from starting Kindergarten and we will be starting a home school curriculum for pre-k.

Friday: How has Daniel been this week? He's had several melt downs, potty accidents and has run away several times. This is pretty much mild Daniel at school.  Not too sure anyone really knows what they are doing, but since they are totally retesting him I cannot do anything but watch.  I have been told I can only give a history of what he's done and how the last school dealt with it.  I cannot and should not be trying to fix anything for the school.  I have to let them figure it out.  If it's still wrong when we go to our IEP/ARD meeting, then we're going to get someone to bust some chops.  

We would appreciate any and all prayer/thoughts for the year.

We had issues in the morning with how late the bus what getting to school.  The bus would come at 7:10-715 am and wouldn't get to school until nearly 8 am.  We will be addressing the bus issue and our compensatory (make-up) speech therapy issue that goes hand in hand... but until they fix this I will be at least taking them to school.


Until then Enjoy some first day pictures and be very blessed.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments...I read every one. I cherish your thoughts and friendship.
But please remember to keep it nice. Thanks :)
Please consider not being anonymous in your comments.